In context of the visit of Azerbaijan President Ilham to Brussels, the panel highlighted the continued human rights violations in Azerbaijan, including the detention of activists and journalists, and the severe restrictions imposed civil society organisations and their access to funding.
The speakers addressed the crucial role of the EU in insisting on clear human rights improvements in Azerbaijan needed before negotiating a partnership agreement with Azerbaijan’s government.
Civil society speakers:
- Emin Milli, Azerbaijani writer, human rights activist, managing director at Meydan TV, living in exile in Germany
- Khadija Ismayilova, Azerbaijani investigative journalist, arrested in December 2014 and conditionally released in May 2016, currently under travel ban – by Video from Baku
Sponsoring Members of the European Parliament:
- Kati Piri, S&D, Netherlands
- Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, ALDE, Germany
- Ulrike Lunacek, Greens/EFA, Austria
- Jaromír Štětina, EPP, Czech Republic